I'm No Good at Platforms

It's been about five weeks since I last blogged which is a death sentence in bloggerville.

Must. Stay. On. Internet.

Must. Build. Brand.

The internet just keeps churning away as the viral cat video of yesterday is quickly forgotten in favor of the most recent mom-shaming pic circulating Facebook.

To be fair, it's been a FULL five weeks. We have been homeschooling... which, yep, all the "good" mommy bloggers can rock both... but I already said I wasn't good at this when I mentioned I hadn't blogged in five weeks... so, yeah. My husband's work and school schedule has been INSANE which means I've been doing a lot of solo parenting in the evenings. Plus we've had a few rounds of illness wipe out our home and... and... and...

Excuses, excuses.

The truth is... I am no good at building a platform.

A few months ago, I got some decent blog traffic after I wrote a couple of posts for Desiring God. The wise thing to do in that situation is to up my game. Post regularly. Get people interested and pray they keep coming back. Earn 2 pennies from google. Officially be a "paid" writer. Work, work, work, work, work, as sang by Rhianna.

I've been advised by writers significantl
y more famous than I am to diligently plod along, faithful and true, establishing my online presence and platform. That, my friends, is how you get the coveted Book Deal. No one really cares if you can structure a sentence well or know your grammar... they just want to know if you can provide the all-mighty dollar.

How is this done?

It's a lot of being online. A lot of pictures of all the things. A lot of making sure my kids look put-together... that I look put-together... that I have content for posts... that I am on top of my game. Who cares if I am keeping up with my laundry, helping my husband edit papers for his classes (grammars be hard, y'all), or if I am making home-cooked meals... if it's not posted on instagram? Did it even happen?

That's when I realized... I am no good at this platform thing.

Yep. I'll keep writing. I've been writing here  , here, and here to name a few places. I'm not totally silent on the interwebs. But I may not be bustin' it out on my personal space for the sake of being present. I will write when I have something to say... and that's going to be okay.

In the meantime, I desperately need to read some "Olivia" books to my boys and take a shower... because, #momlife.

Comments

Popular Posts