Bored with life...

So often my sinful heart gets so discontent with my stage in life...

It doesn't matter what I'm doing... when I was unemployed and looking for a job, cleaning houses, teaching, pregnant, whatever.

My heart gets so bored with the life God has carefully planned for me and starts looking for other things to satisfy it.

 this is my second time reading through Tim Chester's "You Can Change." While I'm aware of the self-help vibe the title gives the book... let me tell you it is NOT that at all... it is so gospel-centered and dripping with good theology.

Chester quotes G.K. Chesterson in the book specifically on the topic of getting bored with life...

“A child kicks his legs rhythmically through excess, not absence, of life. Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, ‘Do it again’; and the grown-up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony. But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, ‘Do it again’ to the sun; and every evening, ‘Do it again’ to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we.”

  I realize that's a long quote... especially to put on a blog... but please know that's where my heart is. I so want to have an eternal appetite of infancy... to delight in the simple things... and not to grow old and bored. 

Because of this I am committing to writing everyday in November about things that bring me joy... every. single. day. I know people typically post about things they're grateful for in November because of Thanksgiving but this is just a coincidence... promise. 

Praying to be enchanted with life. 



Comments

Popular Posts